Well, that’ll teach me to be frank and up-front about the behind-the-scenes decision-making processes of putting together a project like the quarterly books. Somehow a well-intended recommendation which I politely declined turned kind of ugly. Neat.
Anyway, pretty much all I did this weekend was put together the magazine, wrapping up my last few text contributions and developing layout ideas. While the Blurb.com book format is somewhat limited, I do want to art it up a bit, so I eventually lit upon the idea of combining the wasteful intro pages I used in the first book with the boring screenshot galleries at the end of each piece into something more compact and attractive — which is what you see here. It also lets me incorporate the site’s standard font (which will be much more legible on the page than on this image, as the sample is displayed at about 1/5 actual resolution) for a touch of cross-media unity. Smashing.
Perhaps best of all is that these streamlined designs have enabled me to keep the page count at 160 or less, meaning we won’t bump into the next folio size, which means a savin’ o’ the green. The final count for this issue will be 160 pages for $12.50 — about 60 pages more than I ever expected the magazine to run (the contributors have contributed a lot, and we have the Game Boy’s highlights pretty well covered) but right in line with my price goal. So that’s perfect.
I’m about halfway through the layouts, so I should be able to submit for editor proofs next weekend. The technical word for this is groovy.