I’ve been pretty busy this week with Game Developers Conference coverage. That’s a link to our hub! Go on and click it. Go on, it can’t hurt you.
GDC ’12 is the first major event we’ve tackled under 1UP’s newfangled editorial focus of “not just writing up the news.” Instead, each writer has elected to take on a different perspective — a lens through which to view the event, so to speak. Each of us is attending events and keeping appointments specifically relevant to our thesis. The we are writing about them! It’s super great. I love you all.
Anyway, here is how this shakes out for my own stuff. (I will let my collaborators speak for their respective work.) TA DAH:
- A piece about how hearing some inside perspectives on Mario 3D Land has brought me around on the game.
- A blast from 2011 noting the tenuous parallel between Keiji Inafune and Charlie Sheen.
- A sequel to a Square Enix localization history panel write-up I submitted five years ago.
- On making a sequel to Deus Ex and not sucking at it.
- And finally, the piece I’m proudest of: Unraveling the political overtones of Monday Night’s very strange EA SimCity reveal event.
What I have learned this week is that sometimes we color stories ourselves (the Mario 3D Land one in particular); sometimes we simply need to unravel the message (e.g. SimCity); and sometimes, the best story comes from simply being a conduit for someone else’s insights and reflection (the Deus Ex panel). Everyone else is still finishing off their stories, but even before it comes to its conclusion I am quite happy with the nature of our GDC coverage. I hope you have enjoyed it as well. Amen.