I need to have words with Mr. Matt Leone. I didn’t get to sit in on one GDC panel today — and panels are the heart and soul of this event. I can talk to developers about specific games any time, but this is the only chance I have to sit and soak in the wisdom and experiences of the medium’s most creative minds. Wasted! And all because he scheduled me for all these other things, tsk. But here’s what I did do today:
- Played flOw for PSP. Full preview forthcoming, but here’s a spoiler: It’s flOw for PSP.
- Demo of Mass Effect for PC. Again, full preview forthcoming, but: same great RPG taste, shinier graphics and interface. But the most interesting part of the demo, I think, actually had nothing to do with added content: BioWare showed the entirety of the Liara/male Shepard love scene — basically, an effort to defuse the “porno sex simulator” misinformation that’s spread about the game by showing how utterly bland and inoffensive the scene actually is. It was kinda weird since everyone in the room had played the game and presumably seen the sequence; mostly I just find it interesting that they felt pressured enough by bad publicity to tip their hand by showing a late-game story spoiler.
- Nintendo Treehouse Interview re: WiiFit. Apparently I had great balance on my right leg and can’t balance for crap on my left. I’m gonna blame the cold medicine.
- Nintendo Treehouse interview re: WiiWare. Unfortunately, not very informative — I think I learned about as much from the press release. Nintendo’s quite good at being tight-lipped!
- Oh, and I played this one game called Fez. It was pretty okay, I guess. (And by that I mean I completely loved it.)
Of course, the real draw of GDC, besides the panels, is networking. I bumped into quite a few familiar faces as a matter of course throughout the day, and even met up with occasional 1UP freelancer Benj Edwards (who has been responsible for some excellent, in-depth retrospectives over the past year). If you’re here and see me around — I’m the short guy in a long black coat and burgundy scarf — say hello. I probably won’t be too freaked out. Probably.
Tomorrow: Bionic Commando Rearmed. It’s gonna be a good day.